July 3, 2006

My Detective Story

I have the beginning of a comedy detective story that I may write someday. This came to me this morning as I was dozing. The trash truck came by and woke me up with the normal "BrrrrrRRR......Screechhhhh!" as it accelerated from one can to the next. The brakes-uh, day need-uh work!. Anyway, so here's the story. I just know I can do something with this. Maybe a children's book? It's too corny for adults, I think. Ehhhh, never can tell. It cold be animated like Roger Rabbit. This was inspired by the likes of Garrison Keillor's Guy Noir and Captain Picard's Dixon Hill.

The name's Rocker. Rocky Rocker. I'm a furniture detective. In a town where wood is king and particle board is the staple of skid row, I solve problems. Problems that other people can't solve. Things that make the police itch like they have termites.

Anyways, one night I was sitting on the front porch of my office and up the walk comes the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. She was a coffee table, solid oak, with a finish so perfect you could lose yourself in it. She was long and luscious. You know the type - all legs and no brains. And what legs! They weren't the lathed kind that everybody has these days, they were the carved kind. Curved in all the right places. One solid piece as smooth as anything a guy's ever seen.
Copyright 2006 DarrellH.

Hehe. I think it's funny. Maybe I'll write it someday, or even better sell it for a profit!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try reading "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and the second one "Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul" both by Douglas Adams.

His writing is hysterical and they're myteries (of a sort). You might like them, and they might be inspiring.

DarrellH said...

Thanks!!!! I've heard of LDTTotS, but never read it.

Appreciate that!

Rutherford said...

I read those a while back. Funny stuff. You just keep whittling away at your story.

penrithpics said...

Dirk Gently is the best. Classic & hilarious.

penrithpics said...

Dirk Gently is the best. Classic and hilarious!!

penrithpics said...

Dirk Gently is the best. Classic & hilarious.