July 20, 2006

Sick Washer

Today has been the day of working on our sick washer. We had a Sears repairman over this morning who decided that the timer (a.k.a. the brains) was out. Repair cost: $300. Oh no! Service call cost: $65 and he was out the door. So, I'm an ingenuitive sort, and I figured that I could buy one much cheaper online and install it myself. Boy has that been a mindbender. Working on computers is nothing compared to this baloney!

First, I can't get the timer out of the control panel. I twisted, and pried, and turned, and cussed all to no avail. Finally, I went searching on the net (and with Jen's help) found diagrams to help. It took me a long time studying those diagrams to figure out how to get the timer out (clue: screws hidden behind the plastic ring with all the cycles listed on it) but I finally did it. Whew!


(zoom)

Now, the other problem is figuring out which timer to order. Some sites show me 2 matching this model of washer (Maytag LAT9316AAE) and some sites show me 4. Oh what to do, what to do?

I plan to call one of the parts places tomorrow and see if they can help me!

FO, you'd be proud of my appliance surgery! I've text'd you a couple times, but not heard back. WhaChuDoin'?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you found me out, eh? I've been pretty busy although it is better this two weeks thann typically.

I bought my washer and dryer together used for $250. I also did that on the last two sets. They still work after five years or so.

Anonymous said...

I do admire the initiative.

DarrellH said...

I have a spare one store at my folks, but it is a no-brand and this is a Maytag. I wanted to at least make an effort to fix this one on the cheap, and if that fails - oh well. I have ordered The part and it should be here next week.

And yes, it took a while, but I figured it out. I have a long list of characteristics that I can tell you about yourself that I have compiled. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»