July 16, 2006

How The iPod's Click Wheel Works

"Did you know that an orange can change the volume on your iPod? The iPod Click Wheel is not heat sensitive like many think. This article explains how it works."

This is one of the best articles I've ever read from this site, which I lovingly refer to as "HowShi*Works.com". I also love their "How Diesel Locomotives Work" article and have read that one a couple times. I printed it out several years ago, and put it in my bag to show my friend at work, and it is still in there, not yet shown to him. Hehe.

read it - digg story

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. At one of my summer jobs I got to be around a touchchip that would capture your fingerprint using variable capacitance. That array was obviously at a much higher resolution, but it also placed the opposite "plates" of the capacitors next to each other relative to the finger as opposed to all three inline. Interesting.

http://www.catfishsoftball.com/pics/variablecapacitance.gif

Michelle said...

The click wheel on my iPod drives me mad - either it's far, far too sensitive, or I have much clumsier fingers than your average iPod user. My old (3G) one was fine, but with my new video one, it's hard to select the menu item I have in mind, because as soon as I move my finger to, say, try and click the centre button... it goes and highlights something else. Waaaayyy too sensitive - I wish there was a way to adjust it.

So... very clever, but very annoying. Bah. I preferred the old ones where the buttons were separate from the wheel. Looked nicer, and much easier to use!

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»