July 25, 2006

The biggest hole in the world

The biggest hole in the world is located in Russia.. it is actually a diamond mine.. see the amazing photos here...

This is uber-amazing and uber-hideous at the same time. It looks like science fiction! I can't believe a hole that big can keep from caving it on itself. I'd like to see this on Google maps...

read more - digg story

Update: I found a link to it on GMaps, but unfortunately the resolution isn't very good. Oh well.

Update2: Here's a link to a good post about this from AhSoon. Thanks, mate!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd say this but that's a pretty nice hole you've got there.

DarrellH said...

Since you're in medicine, I'll consider you a hole expert!

Anonymous said...

I've seen my share. And stuck my finger in them, too.

Anonymous said...

I've done my University project about Diamonds and i read this before.

Take a look on the National Geographic presentation for more detail. It said a truck would take TWO Hours to surface from the bottom!! and people would work under the tempreture of -50F to -70F.

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/data/2002/03/01/sights_n_sounds/media.1.2.html

It shows on Part 4, Extreme Mining

DarrellH said...

Now that was amazing!!! Thanks for the link. I couldn't see the whole address on my screen, so I've made it into a clickable link right here.

I hope you got the highest marks on your University project!