December 8, 2005

My Take: When murder hits the blogosphere

I fear that stories like this and this are going to contribute to the uneducated masses' fear blogging and social sites like MySpace and Facebook.

Thought the pieces are well written, they seem to make out MySpace to be somehow related to the problem, which I don't believe is the truth. The fact of the matter is that crazy people and criminals can access and use those sites just like anyone. I think that this will cause some ignorant congressman to propose some new online protection act, and I think that kind of thing will do more harm than good.

I look at it like this: Criminals drive cars, but we're not going to outlaw those because the vast majority of drivers are normal, law-abiding citizens. MySpace and similar services shouldn't be maligned just because these evil people used them.

I have to admit that I have a great amount of fear as a parent that one of my kids' future friends could do something like this. I was thinking about it, and if some kid with a gun gave me even 1/2 a second, I'd try to take the mother down. If he's gonna kill me, at least maybe I could protect my wife. The more I write, the more hatred I feel for David Ludwig, and that's really out of character for me. I just feel sorry for Kara Borden's parents. On the other hand, the story doesn't say anything about them. Were they abusive or something? Was there a reason that they were killed? This warrants more research. I think that I am quite uninformed enough to make a judgment. I'm going to try and find more info.

No comments: