June 10, 2006

Writer's Almanac Podcast

Thanks to Merle Sneed, I just learned about Writer's Almanac Podcast by Garrison Keillor. I've always enjoyed Keillor's work, and listened to A Prairie Home Companion on the radio, but I didn't know that WA was released as a podcast. What a wonderful find!

Via WA, I checked out the Poetry Foundation website and tried their Poetry Tool. Using the tool, you can find all kinds of poems for whatever occasion you need one for. For instance, I found 7 poems for Graduations, that I have printed out and plan to recite at length upon our next meeting to my good friend the doctor who just graduated! (just kidding about that whole reciting bit...)

[unrelated]
Here's a poem for remembrance. It is awesome!

Remember
by Christina Rossetti

Remember me when I am gone away,
...Gone far away into the silent land;
...When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.


Remember me when no more day by day
...You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
...Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.


Yet if you should forget me for a while
...And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
...For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,


Better by far you should forget and smile
...Than that you should remember and be sad.

1 comment:

Rutherford said...

Thanks for the warning.