February 19, 2006

Two Songs

Today has been fun so far. I slept late as usual on a Sunday morning after staying up until 3. That's one of my favorite things to do. That sounds funny, but I enjoy staying up until the wee hours doing what the hell ever I want and then sleeping in. Call it weird, call it crazy, call it whatever you want, but that's what I go for. Had some good cereal with milk that is ever so close to spoilage for brunch. I have 9 boxes of cereal in the house and I was bound and determined to have some without going to the store for fresher milk. It wasn't really bad milk, but the date is today and you know if you have milk on its expiry day that you're taking a chance. :p

So, for several hours (off and on) I've been working on my blog design. I have been thinking lately that I want to add a box in my right sidebar for pictures. Even though I often post pictures inline with my entries, and will keep doing that, sometimes I want to see a slideshow of my family pictures and/or mobile phone pictures. I do take a lot of mobile phone pictures and I don't really do anything with them but post a choice one occasionally. Like this one. I played with Textamerica since that's the one Cat Schwartz uses, but I didn't like it as much as I like Flickr. So, Flickr it is! Just glance at the right side of the screen just below the green profile box and see what's new. Click on any photo to see it bigger.

I guess I'll finally get around to explaining why this post is called Two Songs. I've listened twice now to Zoe's Christmas Special and she plays some very good music. I don't like all of it, but she does hit a some gems. In the Christmas show, I particularly liked These Words by Natasha Bedingfield and Emily Kane by Art Brut. Bedingfield has more soul than almost any other female singer that I've heard. She really has some vocal talent, I think. I'd compare her soulfulness on this song to Diana Krall [correction: I really meant Norah Jones] or Mariah Carey. She even has the video on her site. You find it. Art Brut's song is just very jaunty and British and has a a good beat. I laugh just thinking of how it must have gone when Emily Kane's friends told her about this new song with her name in it. Oh yes, Emily Kane is real! Check it out!

Mouths were left wide open in The Artrocker Room at Frog on Saturday as Eddie Argos and muse Emily Kane 'got down' to...'Emily Kane'! As Eddie arrived he introduced me to his companion for the evening; "Tom, this is Emily." "Hello Emily, hope you have a good time" I platituded and dashed off to attend to some mini-crisis or another, like the CD players not working as per."Did you meet Emily?" asked Ed Idiot later that evening; "Yes," I replied, "You know who it is don't you? It's Emily Kane!" My flabber was gasted.

I asked Eddie for the SP, how did it feel? "To be honest it's ten years worry off my back, I realised that really I was in love with being 15 years old - not Emily Kane." Which is not to say that Emily is anything other than absolutely charming, and she certainly knows how to shake it down - as well as being a PacMan pro! But as Josie Harris said to me "I've got to go, it's doing my head in, Emily Kane dancing to Emily Kane!"

Now, I'm finally listening to Zoe's Feb 10 show and just seeing what I like and all.

That's about all I've got for now. I'm 2 days into my week-long temporary bachelorhood (J and B are up at the folks in North TX) and I've indulged in pizza several times. Dobie and I had Double Dave's for lunch yesterday and I've got Papa John's in the fridge. PJ's was having a customer appreciate day yesterday and I had to pick up some 1 topping larges for $5.99. Good deal!!! I think I'll have some now...the cereal has worn off. :)

[I had to add this while I was on the theme of music. I downloaded this week's iTunes free song of the week, which is Danielle Peck's I Don't. You have to listen to this. It is the corniest example of drunken bad relationship music that I've heard in a long time. She isn't a bad singer at all, but the lyrics are...indescribably cheesy. The sample ends early, but what she says is "Jesus loves you; I don't."]

2 comments:

Rutherford said...

Once when I was a youngster complaining about the spoiled scent of the milk we were given for our $0.25, Mr. Anderson told me that spoiled milk will not hurt you. I don't know if that's true or not, but I think it might be generally true although many evil diseases can grow in milk if allowed (particulalry speaking of unpastuerized milk, which would be hard to find nowadays).

Taking this advice as though the man knew anything for certain (and he very well might), I have drunk milk two weeks beyond its expiration fearlessly. I do NOT drink spoiled milk, but I have found repeatedly that milk which is not left unopened for longer than necessary and refrigerated as much a possible is not likely to spoil near the expiration.

On the other hand, I once was very eager for milk to go in my cereal and found there was none in the house. I went to the nearby convenience store, bought some, and was so eager that I drank directly from the carton. Maybe the milk had not been refrigerated properly because although it was younger than its expiration date, I received chunks of spoilage for my eagerness.

DarrellH said...

Looking back, Anderson (for being a real dick sometimes) was someone that I grew to respect. I don't know if he knew beans about milk, but he knew a few things about keeping kids in line.