September 25, 2005

I'm home

I just arrived home from volunteering. I had a really amazing day. It was probably one of the most interesting and unique days of my life. I went from data entry clerk, to food server, to sanitizing lotion dispenser, to planning and implementing information table for FEMA, HHS, Salvation Army, etc. What a whirlwind. I have a few pics on my phone to post. I met lots of nice people and almost got beat up by a disgruntled refugee. Good thing I was standing around with two cops. I have to tell this story later. Now, I'm dead. I must sleep so I can go back in 6 or 7 hours. I'm needed, and that's a good feeling.

Here's where I was: Building 1536 at KellyUSA, formerly Kelly AFB. This is a map. The map is sooo not to scale. The building is bigger than this! I walked the length back and forth at least 5 times. Whew!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a good man. (Was the lotion some recreational thing? You sly dog.) Also, you have to love a refugee that wants to beat up a Red Cross Volunteer.

I'll call later today.

DarrellH said...

Haha!!! I have to tell you, one of the Army officers pointed out to me a gal that he said had taken at least 5 different guys outside with her. He called her over later and asked her what she charged. She wasn't shy: she told him she'd give him a special military rate, but I didn't hear what it was. He was just trying to verify her ho-ness, though. I don't think he really was planning on taking her up on the offer. That was weird...