June 21, 2005

Sympathy Card

I have a friend whose mother passed away recently, so I sent her a sympathy card from http://www.jacquielawson.com. The friend is a young lady of maybe 22 or 3, and I was really touched by her email back to me. It has more feeling than I'd expect from someone of her age. It just goes to show you that stereotypes are rarely accurate and that a person's true feelings are still well able to be expressed by writing. I think that this shows that the old art of skillful writing is not dead.

Here's a [slightly edited] version of what she wrote to me:

I got your card and I wanted to tell you I really appreciate it. It's so nice to know that even at the [schoool] people are thinking of me. I'm not quite certain how the news arrived there, but I am glad that it did. I hope your summer is going well, Darell. Surprisingly, mine is improving. I'm begining to realize that people do care about both mum and me. All the support has given some light to this situation. To see how much one person meant to everyone; friends, old neighbors, high school friends, family from both sides, and co-workers (mine and dad's). When we had an Irish wake the night before the funeral, so many people came. Even the ceremony had a lot of people. Mum was a fighter 'til the end, I'll say that much. Being religious and all, though, I know she's not really gone. She's still here. Heaven's all around us, so who knows, maybe she's standing right next to me.

-M


Isn't that something? :~)

No comments: