June 18, 2005

No Strings Credit Report

This is a new federal law: you have to be given 1 free credit report from each of the 3 big agencies once per year. In the past, they were required to give you on if you were denied credit, but now they have to provide one free per year just for the asking.

I am in the process of printing out my Experian report right now. I am also going to print the reports from the other two. I decided to print all three at once to compare them, but I can see the benefits of printing one every 4 months instead...

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ is the site.

I checked their security certificate to make sure it is not a scam site. They have the same certificate company that I use, VeriSign, and I know how hard it was for me to get a VeriSign certificate. I trust that this is a legitimate site. They asked for a ton of identifying info, but not my email address. That's good, no extra spam on top of the hundred or so I get a day.

No comments: