April 30, 2007

Cable Modem

I was just pondering how much I love my cable modem service. I remember back in our first apartment on Bandera road that I had dialup and that was all that was really available. ISDN was out there, but that was uber-expensive and for those people that really worked from home.

The dialup was so slow that I remember it taking 5 hours to download the Diablo I game demo. It was a whopping 50 meg. These days, from a good site, I can download that in under a minute. From 300 minutes down to one...that's a pretty good speed increase!

What got me thinking of this is that I'm setting up mom's new computer here at my house and Windows Media Player downloaded a 5 meg file for the URGE music store. I was thinking how long that little, worthless download would have taken on dialup.

No comments: