May 18, 2006

Little Gym

I haven't written about Little Gym yet, and I really think that I should. It is such a big change for Brendan that it deserves some mention. Jen's been writing about it, so in the family history there is mention, but I should talk about it too.

For the most part, I enjoy the heck out of going to it. We go, we play (some), we go out to eat. What could be better? :) Well, it could be better if the littel rascal would actually participate.

The first time, and every subsequent time, he's refused to take part in the "sitting in a circle, doing something like singing, clapping, etc" that is done at the beginning of every 45 minute class. He screamed, cried, kicked, and all that for the first one and since then has been either refusing to go in while they are doing that or has played on the equipment instead. At least having him play on the equipment has him in the room, so I try to encourage that. It's kind of funny how he is so excited about going when we leave the house. He says "let's go a play!" and seems happy and excited about it. Maybe he is confused though; when we get there he pretty much refuses to go in the building and even holds on to the door frame to try to keep from going in. I think he thinks of "play" as going to McDonalds and he loves that. Maybe we can start saying we're going to Little Gym and see if at least he can be prepared a little ahead of time. I really want to get there 30 minutes ahead of time and work him into the idea of going in. Might try that next time.

So, once we're in the room after the circle sitting, he usually has fun. He has swung on the gymnast bars, walked on the balance beam while kicking my hand every step, plus jumped, rolled, climbed and so on. That's great, but any time any of the staff looks at him, he cries or hides behind me. One class he did well and was very friendly to one of the instructor girls, but not this most recent one. They all know his name, which I like, but he is so shy that he will hardly interact with them. It is a pain in the butt to take him there and know that he is going to so dislike it, but 1) the doctor said (and I agree) that he needs more adult interaction and 2) I paid for I already!!! So, we are going to continue taking him, but he must think we're torturing him or something. I know it is torturing me when he is the only one squalling when he's the oldest of about 12-15 little kids there.

Oh well, we go on...

Tonight, Jen is going to her La Leche League meeting and Bren and I are going to good old McDonalds. He'll have fun, and I'll read CGW, so that's good for both of us. :)

Gee this is a disorganized piece of writing...oh well, at least I wrote.

2 comments:

Rutherford said...

Very good post. You may have been frustrated, but I laughed imagining it.

We're still trying to plan a trip down your way. It seems I have dumb little things to do scattered all over the calendar.

Heart of Rachel said...

The Little Gym is indeed a nice venue for young kids to build their character. My son has been attending Little Gym classes since he was a year old. I have enjoyed the parent-child classes at The Little Gym for some time now. My son turned three just two weeks ago so he transferred to Funny Bugs (from SuperBeast) class. This time, he goes in the gym by himself. I was worried for a while but everything went perfectly well on his first day. It was wonderful watching him interact with the other kids and seeing him do the activities all by himself. The Little Gym has always been the "bonding time" of our family.