March 22, 2005

I stand corrected

I got a comment on the last post that read:

Cinders said...
Hate to burst your bubble but I am a printer (typesetter actually) and raised printing is the cheapest, least expensive printing you can get on business cards - hence the crappy typesetting and typos.I suspect that English is not the primary language of Mr. Edgar and whoever set this card should be fired. The old printer's saying . . . "Trash In, Trash Out" probably played a role in this disaster.

I emailed her:

Hi there, and thanks for the blog comment.

> raised printing is the cheapest, least expensive printing you can
> get on business cards - hence the crappy typesetting and typos.

Really?!?!? I can't believe it? Why is it cheaper? I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm always willing to learn something! I just had to post that tirade. You are right, thought, there are several people to blame in this situation. I was wondering, what do most printing houses do when something like that comes in - do they say "we print what you give us" or do they point out to the person that there are errors. I could see it both ways. Help out the customer by pointing things out, or not say anything and not open yourself up to a customer saying "but you said that word was spelled right". I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, and thanks for reading me. :)

And her reply:

Hi Darrell - Most raised printers are speciality houses that "gang" their cards, printing several orders together and volume always equals discount in my business. I can send out raised cards for 50% less than what I can print them in-house. Sad but true. Choices are limited (color and stock) but heck, most people are happy with the cost and there is a common belief that raised is better!

At the print shop I work for we always do our level best to make the customer aware of issues like spelling, grammer - stuff like that but bottom line is that the customer has the final say and always sees, reads and signs off on proofs making them 100% responsible. With all the cheap and dirty operations and places like Staples offering printing I don't think everyone gets the level of service we try to offer. Then add in all the low wage / maybe high school graduates doing the printing jobs these days and I guess folks get what they get! Makes me cringe but cards like the one you found are getting more common.

Hey - happy birthday to your baby and belated congratulations to both you and your wife. Kids are so very wonderful. And please excuse typos but I have MS and have hand issues and am not taking time to proof this as I am dashing it off at work! Feel free to cruise my blog at http://totoro.inmybook.net/


I'm always willing to learn something and I sure have today. Thanks Cinders for setting me straight. :)

No comments: