July 7, 2005

Blackberry Tricks

This probably isn't going to be of any interest to anyone but me, so anyone might just want to skip reading it...

I've been playing with Nextel Blackberry 7520 lately, and I want to keep track of all the little tricks that I've learned so that I don't not have them when I need them. So, here goes with the list.

1) When in messages, press T to go to the top of the list, B to go to the bottom. If you hold CAP and scroll, it will highlight multiple items so that you can easily delete them.

2)Is it possible to see the display of the ‘signal strength’ in real numbers?

Yes. Rather than looking at the bars, you can change the display of the 'signal strength' to read in real numbers. While at the home screen (ribbon), hold down the half moon ALT key while you type NMLL. The bars should change to read numbers. For the 'signal strength', if you are in the 100 area (that means -100 dBm), you will be transmitting at maximum power (2 Watts), and since coverage is hit and miss at this weak a signal, you may end up transmitting many times before the packets make it through. This might help explain any poorer than normal battery life.

To get the bars back: While at the home screen (ribbon), hold down the half moon ALT key while you type NMLL again.

3) The Jabra BT250v works marvelously with the BB 7520. The bluetooth paiting was easy and it worked immediately (well, after one reboot of the headset.) Makes me wish my i275 had bluetooth. But I have a camera and I can't complain. BB doesn't have a camera model yet...

4) Type the first letter of an item in an options list or menu to jump directly to that item.

5) Hold the ALT key while you roll the thumb-wheel to scroll horizontally in any field where you can enter or view text. Hold the ALT key while you roll the thumb-wheel to scroll through a field to view options. Hold the CAP key while you roll the thumb-wheel to select multiple items in a list.

6) http://www.ibbug.org/


Maybe more to come as I find things...

No comments: